top of page
  • Writer's picturePenn Chambers

Family Law | A Comprehensive Guide To The Procedures Of Child Matters

Updated: Dec 15, 2023

When couples with children separate, it can be a difficult and emotional time. Ideally, both parents should be able to come to an agreement on how to raise their children, including where they will live and how often they will see each parent. In many cases, parents are encouraged to create a Parenting Plan or undergo mediation to try and resolve any disputes.

However, despite best efforts, some cases inevitably end up in court.

In the past, residence and contact orders were used to determine where a child would live and how often they would see each parent. However, as of 22 April 2014, these terms are no longer used in private law children proceedings.

The Child Arrangements Order (CAO)

The Children and Families Act 2014 introduced the Child Arrangements Order (CAO) as a replacement for residence and contact orders. The CAO sets out where a child will live, who they will spend time with, and when. This order can also include joint “lives with” orders, where the child spends time living with both parents.

The CAO is a more flexible and child-focused approach to determining custody and visitation rights. It takes into account the child's best interests and aims to ensure that both parents have a meaningful relationship with their child, where possible.

How We Can Help

If you are going through a separation and need assistance with child arrangements, our team of experts is here to help. We can provide guidance on creating a Parenting Plan, support you through mediation, and represent you in court if necessary.

  • Expert advice on child arrangements

  • Support with Parenting Plans

  • Representation in court proceedings

Contact us today to find out how we can assist you, or download our comprehensive guide to the procedures of Child Matters HERE.

Family Law Department

0207 183 2450

The information provided in this article is not intended to constitute professional advice and you should take full and comprehensive legal, accountancy or financial advice as appropriate on your individual circumstances by a fully qualified Solicitor, Accountant or Financial Advisor/Mortgage Broker before you embark on any course of action.


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page